What do you need to know to understand this sport?
Review with us your fundamental points.
- In a polo match four players per team enter the playing field.
- In the Triple Crown, eight seven-minute periods (called chukkers) are played.
- Teams exchange sides every time they convert a goal.
- If the ball escapes on one side, it is the referee who makes the side kick and, if the match ends tied, it is an extra time to always define a winner.
- Each quartet has a handicap, that is, a numerical rating for its level of play. La Dolfina has 40 handicap goals, the maximum possible. The cue can be taken specifically with the right hand. Mariano Aguerre, former Palermo champion polo player, is left-handed but must have learned to play with his unstoppable hand.
- Finally, it is essential to understand that athletes are indispensable, but that the difference is marked by horses.