What do you need to know to understand this sport? Review with us your fundamental points.
- In a polo match four players per team enter the playing field.
- In the Triple Crown, eight seven-minute periods (called chukkers) are played.
- Teams exchange sides every time they convert a goal.
- If the ball escapes on one side, it is the referee who makes the side kick and, if the match ends tied, it is an extra time to always define a winner.
- Each quartet has a handicap, that is, a numerical rating for its level of play. La Dolfina has 40 handicap goals, the maximum possible.
- The cue can be taken specifically with the right hand. Mariano Aguerre, former Palermo champion polo player, is left-handed but must have learned to play with his unstoppable hand.
- Finally, it is essential to understand that athletes are indispensable, but that the difference is marked by horses.